Scanner configuration, was [OM] An update from Chuck

Subject: Scanner configuration, was [OM] An update from Chuck
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:15:40 -0400
Susan said:
I too am on the verge of jumping into a slide scanner, altho I must say
all
the travails of the list members in configuring them makes me wince....

I just want to make perfectly clear that all the trouble I had getting
the Acer Scanwit up and running had absolutely nothing to do with the
scanner.  All of the trouble had to do with the SCSI card and, despite
the bad reputation of SCSI, I'd have had exactly the same problem by
trying to add ANY other PCI card to my system.  There appears to have
been a software bug in the PCI IRQ routing table (unique to my mother
board) which only raised its ugly countenance after adding one too many
PCI cards in need of an IRQ.  So, it didn't matter that it was a SCSI
card.  it could have been a network card or anything else.  The
scanner/SCSI combination was guiltless and just came along at the wrong
time.

Once I installed the new VIA chipset drivers the scanner fired itself up
automagically.  Touching the scan button starts up the scanner software
and starts scanning up to 4 slides or 6 negatives. Very nice.  I have
since added a network card without incident and it is sitting on a
shared IRQ with the video card.  That's the way PCI is supposed to work.

I'd also like to put in another plug for Acer tech support.  To be sure,
they didn't figure it out... I did.  However, they put in a lot of late
night hours with me on the phone talking me through everything they
could think of.  They helped me narrow down the possibilities and proved
that their SCSI card and scanner were working properly.  That left me no
choice but to start probing the system farther back.  Amazingly, Acer
tech support is at the end of an 800 number 24 hours/day at no charge.
Pleasant folks, recommended.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA