Re: [OM] Night Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Night Photography
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:32:56 GMT
I can think of two easy ways to get more of the effect you're after:

1. Use a blue filter. Tho' they can be a bit extreme for most uses, some Cokin filters produce outstanding effects when used in the 'right' photos. Or a standard threaded blue color-correction filter.

2. Use a film that leans bluish at night, like Fuji slide films. Don't know about their entire line up, but Sensia II 100 and 400 definitely acquire a bluish cast at twilight and night.

Using color negative film to achieve specific effects can be frustrating because you're at the mercy of labs which often cannot interpret what you want, or accomplish it even when you give them instructions.

Oh, yeh, one more: you might play around with trying to get the look you want digitally after scanning. Some of my digital images only vaguely resemble the original prints. I just use the original print as a sort of rough sketch to build on.

Lex
===