Re: [OM] Re: HiFi

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: HiFi
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:25:28 GMT
Stop making sense, dammit!  It's embarrassing the rest of us.

Another set of factors that few saleswonks bother with is how a camera body or lens handles. In many cases ergonomics is everything. Especially when many cameras in the same price range offer the same features. How those features can be *accessed* makes the difference.

Much as I like my old Can-not-an-OM-on FD gear, and like *some* of the EOS stuff, the first time I handled an EOS-1 I was struck with how non-intuitive it was to handle. It wasn't the mere absence of dials - my T70s don't have dials - but the totally foreign feel and arrangement of most controls. Instant turn-off. Same with just about every AF SLR I've tried.

The Oly ZLRs seem to have got it right, but the camera pushers aren't crazy about 'em 'cause there aren't many acce$$orie$ to $ell.

It's not just an anti-wonderbrick bias. I never liked the Nik-not-an-OM-on Photomicwhatevers - oversized, clunky, clumsy things. Didn't care for the Can-you-know-the-rest F1 for similar reasons.

Lex
===