Re: [OM] Re: HiFi (was: something else?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: HiFi (was: something else?)
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:54:55 +0000
>You aren't looking in the right places. I'm sure the U.S. Military is paying
>those $$$ for HiFi stuff. Remember the $500 pliers? The $350 screwdriver-
>high price jjustified because it not only tightened screws but loosened them
>also- imagine- one tool does TWO jobs! Amazing! ?!

I think you missed my point. There is no photographic "hi end" in the same
sense as used in audio. There is no mysticism and arcane theories in
photography. There's no one selling stuff that is totally off the wall, made
from various exotic materials, and backed up by whitepapers! There are no
magazines dedicated to hi end photogrpahy, with long, semi-erotic poeticisms
about the latest and greatest gear. There are no obscure tiny manufacturers
in small villages making photo gear by hand. There's only one shop that I
know of making retro gear because it "takes better pictures", which is that
guy in Japan making the Leica copies. There's no one (except maybe Doris)
claiming that single coated old lenses are better because they capture "the
mood" better. There's no one using bizaar psuedo-scientific language to
describe the theory of how their product works. There are no pontificators,
gurus, and flamboyant promoters claiming that they have achieved the
impossible. There are only faceless companies selling feature full products
that all pretty much look and work the same.

--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright