Re: [OM] Night Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Night Photography
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:10:56 -0600
> >First, here's a page that shows a couple of shots taken in Banff National
> >Park during my recent one-week vacation:
> >
> >http://www.nucleus.com/~coneill/mypictures/nitephoto.html
> >
> >As you'll notice, both of my shots came out rather "brownish" which, by
> >the way, is kinda neat in itself.  However, I really *was* trying to get a
> > more "real" rendition of the scene.  The third photo on the page, Moon
> >Over Pigeon Lake #2 by Larrie Thomson, *really* blows me away and I'd
> >*love* to get results like that.  (Hope Larrie doesn't mind me using him
> >as an example of *great* night photo work!)
> >
> >Any hints, fellow Zuikohobbiests???
>

> See if you like my version of your photo:
>
> http://avalon.net/~jdub/ps_goofing.htm

Wow!!!  I *really* like how you fixed the color in that second shot!!!  Do
the same thing to the first shot, and I'll grab them both from that page
and use them in my "photo album."  Naturally, Joel, I'll give you
appropriate credit for fixing them for me.

> The Thomson photo seems either to be shot through a filter or digitally
> altered along the lines I've pursued.  That's my guess, but I sure could be
> wrong.

Not sure what he used when he took it, or whether he mucked with it
digitally, cuz he didn't say on his site.  Btw, if anyone wants to look at
his site, the URL is:

http://www.nightphotographer.com/

> I think yours is a stronger composition BTW.

Really?!?!?  Gee, thanks!!!  I'm kinda proud of those shots, but in all
truthfulness didn't spend alot of time composing them.  It was *real* late
and I was tired, so I just pulled the car over at a convenient spot, got out
and setup, took them, and then "broke camp" and drove on.

Anyway, thanks again for fixing the photo, and for the kind words.

Regards,

Chris