Re: [OM] Vacation Kit

Subject: Re: [OM] Vacation Kit
From: "John Cwiklinski/Beaverton/Contr/IBM" <johncw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:45:55 -0700
Chris O wrote:

>Bald eagles?!?!?  Where?!?!?  Approximately how many miles (by car)
>from Edmonton, Alberta?!?!?  (We hunted high and low for bald eagles
>while on our trip to B.C. and only saw a few that were soaring so high a
>1000mm with a 2x teleconverter wouldn't have gotten them!  Sigh!)

A pair of bald eagles has nested on Ross Island (Willamette River) about a
mile from downtown Portland, Oregon for the past 4-5 years. It is way cool
to see them, see them in their nest (before tree foilage is too thick) and
also see them fishing. A pair of peregrine falcons (apparently
endangered?) have taken up residence in the downtown Portland area by the
riverfront (under the Fremont Bridge) for the past couple of years.

Recently, downtown Portland is frequently visited by a 4 foot (including
tail) Beaver. Officals cannot seem to capture it and they are losing alot
of tree growth purposely planted to stop/slow erosion.