Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:20:32 -0700
Trevor Briggs <trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Just wondering whether anyone has any info on the difference between the
>28 - 105mm S1 lens.  I was looking at one of these lenses.  The Vivitar
>website has different specs than the one I was looking at.  Filter size,
>weight, elemenets/groups and overal size were different.  It looks as if
>Vivitar updated the lens, but one or two stores still have older ones in
>stock.  Any ideas which is better? When the changed the design?  Any
>information appreciated.

The older 28-105mm S1 lens (67mm filter size) is based on Vivitar's
original Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 lens.  It's a vario-focal design,
patented by Vivitar.  The 28-105mm version was originally made by
Kiron (Kino Precision), and, after Kino got out of the 35mm business
-- by someone else (Cosina?), to Vivitar's spec's.  Btw, Kiron also
sold a very similar 28-105mm f/3.2-4.5.  These were/are very fine,
sharp lenses, with excellent build quality and great optics.  Two
frequent problems I'm aware of with this product: (a) a tendency to
vignette at 28mm end -- be VERY careful with your choice of filters,
i.e. get the thinnest one you can find; and (b) the diaphragm is prone
to become oily and "stick".

About 2-3 years ago, Vivitar redesigned its 28-105mm zoom into an AF
lens.  I guess vario-focal design is no good for AF.  Besides, new
optical glass and CAD-based lens design technologies have obsoleted
the inherent advantages of vario-focal zooms.  So, Vivitar came out
with a new AF Series 1 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8 lens, and its MF version
has replaced the above older lens, I guess due to economies of scale.

The new duo is much lighter (flimsier?), and it has a 72mm filter size
which likely solves the above problem (a). The main drawback of the
new pair seems to be their inferior macro (close focus) performance
-- only 1:6.8 life size magnification vs 1:2.5 in the older design.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA