[OM] Determining Personal ASA/ISO Ratings for Color Print Film

Subject: [OM] Determining Personal ASA/ISO Ratings for Color Print Film
From: Frank Berryman <FAB@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:03:11 -0500
Can anyone either point me to a good book or give me an explanation of the
method for determining personal ASA/ISO ratings for various color print and
transparency films?

Having labored long and hard with the Zone System back in the days when I
had a darkroom (the "Darkroom Ages"), I understand how to do this for black
and white films.

Can I just fire off a few shots with the lens cap on to get a couple of
blank frames for measuring film base plus fog density, then photograph a
gray card at various ASA/ISO ratings, and send it off to some service to
take densiometer readings to tell me which frame is exposed for a proper
Zone V.

Unless I get a professional lab involved, I'm unlikely to get into any
"Normal plus" or "Normal minus" development, so proper exposure of the most
important area (and letting the others fall where they may) seems
particularly important.

Thanks in advance.