Re: [OM] Aftermarket 70-120 f/4-5.6 Zooms - Comments

Subject: Re: [OM] Aftermarket 70-120 f/4-5.6 Zooms - Comments
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:12:10 -0700
On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Robert <RobBurn@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Re: [OM] Tokina 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 and 70-120 f/4-5.6 zooms

>I have a Tokina 35-70/3.5-4.6 zoom paired with a Tokina 70-210/4.5-5.6
>zoom. The 35-70 is 3 inches long. The 70-210 is 3.5 inches long. Both
>use 52mm filters. They are a delightful pair of lenses to work with and
>deliver sharp, bright, moderately contrasty pics.

Hmmm, Robert, pls check again that alledged "35-70" lens.  I believe
you may be talking about the Tokina 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 zoom.

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Re: [OM] Tamron 70-120 f/4-5.6 Adaptall - any info

>Assuming we are talking about the 70-210mm f/4~5.6 Adaptall 2 model, I
>briefly had one pass through my hands and I SQF tested it at 70mm. See
>the OM Lens Test page. Gary Schloss told me once this lens is a dog.

Yes, I admit -- I did utter those worgs.  My sincere apologies to every
canine out there which somehow feels diminished by such language, or by
such an unflattering comparison... :-)

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Jim <Jlaird@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Re: [OM] Sigma 70-210mm f/4-5.6 UC II Zoom

>Anyone familiar with the OM mount Sigma 70-210mm f/4-5.6 UC II zoom? I'm
>looking for a zoom in that range and I'm wondering how it compares with
>the OM 70-210 and others.

It doesn't.  This is a 2-touch version of the Sigma 70-210mm f/4-5.6 UC
(1-touch) zoom, which is surprisingly similar to the other two above
lenses, namely, the Tamron and Tokina.

All these ultra-compact telephoto zooms (and their 28-70mm complements)
appeared pretty much simultaneously (in late 80's), and are remarkably
similar though not identical.  All these zooms have advanced glass (ED)
elements, which accounts for their fine optical performance when new.

Unfortunately, all these lenses were built to a target price, and a
very low one to boot, which explains their crappy/plastic construction,
and longevity which often measures in months, not years.  These lenses
have disappeared from the sales catalogs in record time, and not a day
too soon.  Sadly, I still see many of them out there -- used and in
absolutely dismal shape (mostly broken!).  It's not a pretty sight, and
for a while this fiasco inflicted serious damage to Tamron's and Tokina's
otherwise stellar reputations. Of course, no one had expected any better
from Sigma.  I guess mediocricy has its plusses. (Dubya W., anyone? :-))

For all these zooms, it is concievable to assume some kind of "incest"
(aka technology sharing :-)) which is typical of Japanese manufacturers.
In this case, the possibilities are: (a) one of the three, most likely
Tokina, came up with the design, and licensed it to the other two.  This
could explain why the Tokinas were tweaked to outperform their brethern;
or (b) an independent manufacturer e.g. Cosina, came up with the concept
plus very low price tag, and the more respectable lens makers could not
resist the $$$ signs.

For whatever it's worth, I recommend to steer clear of these lenses.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA