RE: [OM] New Olympus Digital SLR.

Subject: RE: [OM] New Olympus Digital SLR.
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:40:59 -0700
On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Hans van Veluwen <HVeluwen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>The page
>
>http://www.olympus.co.jp/LineUp/Digicamera/E10/6S/index.html
>
>gives a good view of this camera. No indication that its lens is
>exchangeable.

Absolutely correct -- it isn't.

>And this lens which is the equivalent of 35-140mm for 35mm
>film, having a speed of F2-2.4! Now why can't we have that? ;)

Hmmm, if anyone made such a sucker, they'd have to sell it bundled with
a forklift.  About 10-15 years ago, Soligor offered a G/S 35-140mm F3.5,
one of their more famous zooms (the G/S line was even higher end than
their C/D line -- roughly equivalent or better than Series 1/AT-X/SP).

This Soligor lens is 5.5 inches long, and weighs well over 2 lbs. :-)

>But most important is that it crossed the 4Mb barrier. Near photo
>quality on A4...

Nice try from Olympus, but IMHO it's to early to declare a victory.
Based on the lens' focal length, the E10 is essentially still the
same technology as the earlier D-600L/D-620L and C-2500L digicams.
Indeed, it appears to utilize the same 2/3 in. progressive CCD chip,
and the only reason for the higher 4 Mpix resolution is the faster
lens (by 1 stop), which permits more light to reach the CCD sensor,
thereby allowing for higher initial SNR (signal to noise ratio),
which Olympus uses to achieve a higher (spatially denser!) sampling
rate.

No doubt, this is progress, and the E10 body itself seems to be far
more versatile (more features, better manual/pro. controls, etc.
hmmm, does it incorporate an IBM micro-disk? I wonder...), but this
is not a technological breakthrough.  We are probably still a year
or so away from manufacturing larger CCD chip sets cost-effectively.

All IMHO, of course.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx