Re: [OM] Aftermarket 70-120 f/4-5.6 Zooms - Comments

Subject: Re: [OM] Aftermarket 70-120 f/4-5.6 Zooms - Comments
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:18:49 -0700
On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Robert <RobBurn@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I take it you've owned and used your own versions of these lenses, Gary,
>so you speak from experience, not bias.

Affirmative.

>is there a lens graveyard somewhere [...] where one might examine large
>quantities of these "crappy/plastic" short-lived Sigma, Tamron and Tokina
>lenses in amounts sufficient to make a rational analysis?

Yes, there is (actually, I should say "there are" lens graveyards --
there's more than one!).  But sorry, I can't divulge their locations: if
I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya.  :-) :-)

>the two Tokinas I have certainly seem to be nice lenses. (The 70-210 SZX
>is like new and the 28-70 SMZ was NIB.)

I explicitly said that these zooms are OK when new or "like-new".

>... they seem quite adequate for my needs.

Good for you!  Your needs _are_ the most important criteria in your
decision-making, and I wouldn't dream of thinking/saying otherwise.

>According to Monaghan, the Tokinas don't seem to have quite the pathetic
>reputation you describe. On the contrary, they were praised for their
>quality, construction and ruggedness.

I agree with Monahan: Tokina makes fine lenses. I've often praised them
on this list, and I use several Tokinas myself.  In fact, based on my
recommendation, several Zuiks (e.g. J. Wilcox!) bought Tokina products,
and are happy with them.  Same is true about Tamron.  My comments were
limited _only_ to the specific items which appeared in the subject line.

>Opinions are like noses, you know. Everyone has one.

True.  Which doesn't explain why you tried to bite mine off.  The nose,
I mean :-).  Remember, my comments on this list are free of charge, and
in most cases you get exactly what you paid for.  :-) :-)  Well, maybe
once in a while you get just a tiny bit more than you paid for...  So,
rejoyce, praise Jesus/Allah/Yahwe/Buddah/Mother_Nature/Yoshihisa_Maitani
(obligatory OM content alert! :-)), or whatever other supreme being you
choose to worship, and, by all means -- lay off _moi_. :-) :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA