Re: [OM] IS-3 versus IS-30 -Reply -Reply -Reply ;)

Subject: Re: [OM] IS-3 versus IS-30 -Reply -Reply -Reply ;)
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 19:24:55 +0200
: Well, this just shows how little I know about DX. I had no idea the camera
would
: read anything other than the code on the film canister. It's a good thing
I've
: never used DX on my OM-PC. I have no choice with the Stylus Epic, however.
: find this rounding down a bit thick.

Yes, the Mju only decodes 50,100,200,400,800,1600,3200. I'm not sure what
the OM-PC (40) does. Isn't that menioned in its manual? Anyway first of all
it depends on the number of DX contacts the camera has. For a full DX
decoding the camera needs 6 contacts in the right DX row. This row is used
for the film speed; the left row is used for the number of exposures on the
film and the exposure latitude. Most cameras ignore this info. But if the
camera only has four contacts for the right row, it can only read 7 zones
instead of the 24 real ASA settings from 25~5000. There are even cameras
that use only three contacts - they can only decode 100, 200 and 400 ASA...

The iS-1000 and iS-2000 however decode 9 zones, the is-100/200/300 decode 15
zones, which probably means they do have 6 contacs but just ignore some info
they're getting for some strange reason.

hnz