RE: [OM] flash question....

Subject: RE: [OM] flash question....
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 01:03:11 -0400
David,
The manual adapter speed is actually 1/45th.  But, yes, that is what you
would do for the flash you have.
When using a T-series or compatible flash, the OM-10 will not be TTL for
flash.  What you get is ready light in viewfinder only.  Again, no TTL with
flash.  The flash has control of the light, not the camera.
You need to go to a 2, 2n, 2S, PC(40), 4 or 4T for TTL/OTF flash.  Those
bodies have 3 flash contacts rather than the OM-10 and G (20) 2 contact
setup.

Later, you might want to purchase a flash that has auto control with
multiple f/stop selection.  It will be a step up and you'll get more
flexibility.
Even later, you can get a 2 or higher and a T-series flash.

You will almost always get better flash photos with the flash held off the
camera.  So, take a look at some grips on the market.  This will also give
you the advantage of not using the flash shoe.  That way when your camera
gets a bump when the flash is on the shoe, it won't rip the shoe off the
camera!  It has happened quite often to many a user...

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

until I save funds sufficient to buy a suitable flash for the 10
(suggestions please!!!), I bought a CHEAP (AUD$10 about US$5.60 given
the current dismal exchange rates) secondhand Vivitar 1900 flash (a
single centre contact 'hot shoe' type). to use this on the 10 I assume
I need to set a manual (adapter) speed of 1/60th & use the
ASA/distance/f-stop guide data on the back of the flash, is this
correct?

thanks

DavidT
Adelaide.