Re: [OM] some quick-n-dirty scans

Subject: Re: [OM] some quick-n-dirty scans
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:06:30 -0600
On 27 Aug 2000, at 3:39, Acer V wrote:

> http://student.ucr.edu/~siddim01/temp.html

Those are some *very* nice shots!  I particularly like the one of the wing,
and the one of the two tail wings.

> is that really a "sundog"? what causes it? not bad flarewise considering it
> was shot thru scratchy aircraft windows ;)

Those don't look like any sundog I've ever seen (and having lived in the
arctic for nearly a decade I've seen a few.  Grin!)  Not sure what they
are, maybe just an imperfection in the aircraft window???

A "sundog" looks more like a big, distinct "halo" or circular "rainbow"
and is usually seen at a further distance (angle?) from the sun.  I've even
seen them almost 180 degrees from the sun, but usually they're at
about 45 degrees or so.

I'm no meterologist, but I'm pretty darned sure that they're caused by
very tiny ice crystals floating in the air.  They usually occur on very
bright and *very* cold winter days.  I've seen them as far north as
Resolute (haven't been much further than that myself), and as far south
as Calgary.  Don't do much travelling in the States, so I don't know if
theres a Yankee version of them.  (Grin!)

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Chris

P.S.  Now you've given me something *else* to try and capture with my
OM equipment!  Gotta wait for winter, tho.  :-(((