[OM] Re: Malysian breakdown

Subject: [OM] Re: Malysian breakdown
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 22:05:35 +0200
I just wanna add that the conditions in the rainforest probably was the worst
imaginable for any camera and the consensus here on the list that this would
have happened to virtually any electronic camera or device, no matter what make
or model, may very well be true, though we will of course never know. Thus one
shouldn't blame too much on the OM-4's for not coping under these
circumstances. But instead of investing more in a old system, I have opted to
go for really capable flash (got underexposed silver leaf monkeys in Malaysia
despite flash extender, extender also loosened flash mount on the camera
because of the added weight) and should I win on lotto those AF silent wave
offerings sure would come in handy. Ironically, a macro lens also plays a part
here, the lust for a true 200mm macro lens has been there for a long time, now
it can be fulfilled.

Some listmember wondered on the age of the cameras, the OM-4 (apparently from
1983) suffered a circuit collapse in Madeira in 1994 (an OM-2Sp saved that
trip) and had to get a new Ti circuit. It has since repeatedly failed in cold
(under -0C) conditions. That same year I aquired the OM-4Ti, brand-new.  The Ti
had minor faults when new as unexplanable lock-up, faulty framecounting etc. It
had to be totally rebuilt in 1996 when a seawave caught me in California (body
performed well for the trip and another month though totally drenched!), since
then it has performed very well with no hick-ups whatsoever, not even in 45C
scorching desert heat or cold arctic conditiions. That body I had great thrust
on, maybe that's why the disappointment factor is so huge.

cheers,
Ulf Westerberg
Nature- and Travel Photography at www.start.at/westerberg