[OM] Questions about a 350 F2.8

Subject: [OM] Questions about a 350 F2.8
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 23:31:32 EDT
I've unlurked tonight in order to draw from the experience of the Olympus
list members. I stumbled upon a 350 for sale in the Houston, Texas, area and
after examining it and looking through it with my OM1, I've got a few
questions I'd like to pose to the list. First off, the front element has 4 or
5 one inch long scratches that do not appear to be very deep, but are easily
visible when viewed from the front of the lens and are also visible when
viewed from the lens mount end. The scratches were not visible through the
viewfinder of my OM1. I know most people claim that scratches affect resale
value a lot more than image quality, but when one is about to spend $2k on a
lens, the scratches do take on importance.  There are also quite a few black
specks visible inside the lens. The owner indicated that the lens had been
stored and used without the rear filter for over 7 years. He wasn't aware
that a rear filter was to be in place at all times and claimed the 1a filter
included with the lens made photos too pink. I seem to recall the 350 I once
had had a clear UV filter as standard equipment and not a 1a. You 350 owners
out there, which filter did your lens come with? One area of small concern is
that the end of the tripod mount sometimes rubs against the lens body.
Anyway, if I pass on the lens, I'll mention this list to the owner. Thanks
for your input.

Gary Faulkenberry