Re: [OM] New guy fishing for info ...

Subject: Re: [OM] New guy fishing for info ...
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:04:30 +0000
>Hi guys.
>
>I am a new signatory to this list so please bear with me as I muddle through
>my first post. One thing is certain though - I am a committed Zuikoholic and
>will be til the day I die. I am 27,

Ah, the convictions of youth, I love it.....

>The only thing I miss to this day with my
>Oly gear is the absence of second/rear-curtain synch (obviously impossible
>with
>only 1 curtain!!!!) which enables some beautiful combined ambient/flashlit
>shots that are PERFECTLY suited to band/performance photography.

All focal plane shutters as far as I know have 2 curtains....but more to the
point, rear curtain synch, as experts like Doris Fang will tell you, enables
the smeared, out of focus ghost image to trail a moving object with the sharp
image leading the ghost image, thus giving a good illusion of movement. With
regular slow speed flash exposure and regular "X" synch, the ghost image
leads the sharp one, thus not giving a good illusion of movement. You can
still mix ambient and flash with OM cameras however, just not a realistic
illusion (<g>) of movment.

I don't know all of the advantages of the F280/4T combination beyond the
obvious ablity to do fill flash in bright daylight with OTF TTL flash
control.

> Also, my Road to
>Damascus moment came when I did a big spring clean one year and marvelled at
>the higher percentage of relatively sharper shots produced on the OLY gear.

...but of course, we all knew that.....<g>

>Of course. See, during the high-turnover, deadline driven environment of
>publishing, simply getting the workload away meant no real time to peruse
>the print/tranny quality. They were all good enough for publication, as
>newsprint is a crap repro medium. But upon further inspection, the overly
>expensive EOS gear (continually being updated and therefore depreciating my
>gear) was really, performance wise, no-better than my OLY stuff.

Try using Canon gear in a tropical rainforest or on the top of a mountain!

>My reason for posting is thus: can anyone give me some "in use" appraisal of
>the 85mm f2's performance and sharpness? I have been searching for a
>dedicated portrait lens for some time now and - though I obviously drool at
>the thought of a 100mm f2 - have been left high and dry by the small local
>used OLY market.

It's a great lens, but you'll never be happy until you have a 100/2! <g>

--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright