RE: [OM] Flash sync question

Subject: RE: [OM] Flash sync question
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:19:10 GMT
Thanks, Brian, that's exactly why I've held onto my Canonet, and regretted selling my Olympus 35RC. Hard to beat a leaf shutter for outdoor flash.

Lex
===

From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:49:37 -0400

In a word, no.
In a paragraph, the fastest shutter speed for flash is 1/60 sec.(unless you
have a camera using a vertical shutter).  At speeds below 1/60, the first
curtain moves across the shutter opening at a constant speed. At a set time
interval, the second curtain follows the first curtain.  At speeds higher
than 1/60, the full width of the shutter opening is no longer available. At speeds higher than 1/60, the curtains are travelling at the same time across
the shutter opening width.  The width becomes more narrow as the shutter
speed increases.  The best way possible for shutter speeds above 1/60 is to
use a leaf shutter, full sync to 1/500.  Time to drag out your Hasselblad!
Or, use one of those new fangled cameras that have vertical shutters that go
to 1/250.  Don't trust that new stuff, may not work!