Re: [OM] 50/3.5 and E100VS

Subject: Re: [OM] 50/3.5 and E100VS
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 01:41:41 GMT
I'll have to use Corel Photo-Paint terminology, since that's what I use.

Mask off (Adobe may call this selecting, I don't remember) the area you want to sharpen. Sometimes easy, sometimes not. Easy if there's significant differences in color, contrast, etc. Otherwise you gotta use the "magic wand" tool (or whatever Adobe calls it), lasso or paint the mask on. Combined with feathering it won't take too long. A graphics tablet or touchpad makes it a bit easier.

You can even apply a fake bokeh effect by inverting the mask and applying a blur or smoothing effect. Noise and despeckling filters work pretty well for this too.

Also, if Photoshop has directional sharpening or adaptive sharpening, try these instead of unsharp masking. They're more subtle and introduce less noise.

Lex
===