Re: [OM] Flash sync question

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash sync question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 23:05:53 +0000
The "M sync" and "F sync" stands for "Medium" and "Fast" respectively.  It
refers to the average time for the flashbulb to reach full output, the "F"
bulbs getting there faster than the "F" bulbs and thus requiring different
delays in the prefire (particularly with leaf shutters) before opening the
shutter.  "M" bulbs require about 20ms (similar to the "FP" bulbs).  "F"
bulbs require about 5ms, making them usable with "X sync" on many cameras
if your sutter speed is 1/30th or slower (1/30th second = 33ms).  As long
as the shutter is still open during nearly all of the full output it will work.

-- John