Re: [OM] many thanks ...

Subject: Re: [OM] many thanks ...
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 02:00:34 +0000
Hi Reuben,

Welcome to Zuikoholism!  My name is John, and I'm a Zuikoholic too.   :-)

I have both an 85/2 and 24/2, both in use, and both treasured.  They are
sharp with excellent contrast; the exception might be the 85/2 wide open
which softens very slightly at f/2.

An example of the 24/2 is here:
  http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/johnlind/olympus/olympusgallery/om75.html

The one thing to be careful with in using the 24mm focal length is
perspective lines.  Anything shorter than 28mm can get you into trouble if
you don't make a point of watching them.  If you keep this in mind you can
create some great photos with it.  The 24/2 has a floating element to help
keep a flatter field when focusing close that I believe the 24/2.8 didn't have.

Alas, I don't have anything from the 85/2 scanned yet.  It is very compact,
about the same size and weight as a standard 50mm lens!  I've found it easy
to work with and an excellent performer at the shorter end of portrait
lengths; ideal if you are doing a small group of people.  The newer 85/2's
also have a floating element; it serves the same purpose as the one in the
24/2.

Hope they arrive safely and enjoy using them!

-- John