Re: [OM] many thanks ...

Subject: Re: [OM] many thanks ...
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <thomas.clausen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:46:30 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Reuben,

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Reuben Acciano wrote:

<SNIP>

> Thanks for all your tips on the 85mm f2 - now does anyone have any "in use"
> reports on the 24mm f2? I used to love my 24mm f2.8
> but the wee bugger is now gone. How do they compare, anyone?

I cannot tell you how they compare, since I do not have the 24/2.8 and
never had. I can, however, tell you, that I recently (as in: just
a few months back) acquired a mint+ 24/2.0 from a list member, and
instantly fell in love with it. As a matter of fact, the 85/2 and the 24/2
make up the lenses in my prefered set (with an OM2s/p - to those who
should have forgotten what my passion in bodies is). Both are
beauties: reasonably fast, reasonably compact and they complement
eachother well.

I also tend to think, that the 24/2 in most conditions give an "almost
normal" perspective (compared to other wide-angles), making it usefull in
a lot of situations. Heck, I even took decent portraits with the 24/2
(yes, there was a reason for that...), and it does a very good job in
journalistic situations in a crowd. I haven't done any formal testing of
this lens, but it seems to me that there are not much distortion in the
corners and no viegnetting. Also, the lens is remarkably sharp and
contrasty (which fits my style well, I should add - others may have
different likings?). Even fully open, the image is good - stepped down to
5.6 or 8, and it is perfect - even for large enlargements ;)

The downside of the 85/2.0 + 24/2.0 combo is, that they use different
filter sizes. Thus I also carry around two pol-filters, two red-filters,
two yellow-.......But considering the performance of each lens, this is
bearable.

You have to turn to someone else for more "negative" things to say about
the lens. I've had mine for just a few months, so I am still learning
about the lens (and being excited about what I learn).

> Some may think me a little obsessive with my fast apertures etc but
> low-light (ie. band/concert/theatre) really necessitates the brightest
> finder image possible.

I agree. As it always is nice with a bright viewfinder, most of us on this
list did make a concious choise of using Olympus-bodies....which leads me
to a funny story....I hope you will bear with me on this....

I am a computer scientist, working (as a side job) as a consulting
engineer (something with high-speed/wireless networking and larger
unix-boxen). At a customers site this past weekend, their local system
administrator came by to assist in getting some things
finalized. Apparently he was interrested in photography, and thus while
working we were discussing various photo-tehcnical stuff. He did disclose
that he was a C*non-guy and that he had quite a selection of
C*non-gear. Of course, autofocus. And his point of view was, that
basically manual focus was "impossible to do right anyways". I didn't say
anything in a response to that, but in a break I took out my ever-present
OM2s/p with the 85/2.0, and showed him. Anticipating a dark viewfinder
(now, it was a 85mm...) he put the camera to his eye, and was "Wow, I
can...I can see - and I can even focus here. I've fallen in love
with this viewfinder, what was the camera again?" (okok, in Danish...the
translation was mine). We were in-door, btw. Apparently the brightness of
the Olympus viewfinder (it was with the std. screen, btw.)  was orders of
magnitude better than that of his C*non (I think EOS-650 and EOS-1 were
his bodies, but I am not sure about the former). Not, of course, that any
of us had any doubts that OM is orders of magnitude better than EOS, but
nice to see that even a C*non-buff can be converted ;)

<SNIP>

--thomas