Re: [OM] Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:34:44 +0000
Yes, I am swearing off lenses.  I was trying to keep it to 7 but you see
there was this 80/4 macro and...

Seriously, I now have Zuikos that cover from 21mm to 420mm (300 + 1.4xtc)
and go from infinity down to 1:1 - when the 80/4 arrives.  I really do not
need or want any more.

I am only getting the 80/4 because someone expressed the opinion that the
90/2 macro performs poorly as a macro lens,  being out performed by
the 50/3.5.

Since I have gotten what I consider to be great macro results
with the 90/2 I just couldn't resist the temptation of seeing what a
'real' macro lens like the 80/4 can do. ;-)

It is nice to have informed opinions about a lens but I have decided that
the only real way is to 'suck it and see'.  I think I will call it 'buy
and try' ;-)

I am a bit concerned about the bokeh of the 80/4 as it has a 6 blade
diaphragm while the 90/2 has 9.  The bokeh of the 90/2 is one of its
characteristics I most cherish.

So, if the 80/4 doesn't blow the 90/2 away I might sell it and go back to
7 lenses.

Giles