Re: [OM] Olympus - no digital plans for OM series

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus - no digital plans for OM series
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:49:55 +0200
On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 01:44:57PM -0400, Dan Lau wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:06, Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Seriously though, maybe some other list members could shed some light
> >on this issue.
> >peter
>

> >>I just got back from the Seybold Convention and Expo in San
> >>Francisco.  At the Oly booth I asked about a digital body for all my
> >>Oly OM glass.  The answer was from a rep was, "Not that I know of."
> >>"
> >>He then went on to give a curious answer as to why not.  "The OM
> >>lenses do not work for digital imaging."  He said that lenses
> >>focused images by the rays crossing and the CD chip needed all the
> >>light beams to be coming in on a straight axis because the pixel
> >>receptors were like a cup and the light had to reach the bottom.
> >>The present OM lenses land the images at an angle.
>
> OK, if you stay on this list long enough, all the topics will be
> discussed again, and again, -- is there nothing new under the sun?

Sure, There are not too much things under the sun, which are
really new. - But who know`s only that thing`s change when their time is come.
So there may appear new aspect`s to an old topic, when it`s discussed again.

> This particular topic (digital camera using OM lenses) was
> discussed in April of this year.  There was even a set of
> PowerPoint foils from Olympus that show the difference between
> a lens designed for film use (the light rays go at an angle)
> and a lens designed for digital CCD chip (the light rays go
> parallel).

I` confused about what`s meant with that. Maybe another issue to
improve my English??

Someone on this list had archived that set of
> foils on a web site somewhere, so whoever has it, please speak
> up so we can put this topic to rest (again).  Or else someone
> do a search of the archives for the presentation.
>       -Dan

I don`t belive that it is impossible to use Zuiko`s with digital-sensor-chips.
I guess the foils are fine excuses. Altough I`m sure, that it`s only a "second
best solution" to reconstruct existing film camera`s for digital use.

 There are efforts to produce digilal-film for all camera`s:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/result.xhtml?url=/newsticker/data/cm-06.09.99-000/default.shtml&words=Film
refers to:
        http://www.siliconfilm.com/mainindex.htm
and:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/result.xhtml?url=/newsticker/data/cm-06.09.99-000/default.shtml&words=Film
refers to:
        http://www.scitex.com/

And last but not least, Am I looking at a nice prospectus of the
Olympus/Hasselblad -Macro -Foto -System. A modification of the
Olympus-Auto-Bellows
 and the Macrophoto Stand to fit either Olympus OM or 6x6 Hasselblad Cameas.
They point out,
that it is possible to use several digital sensors available for Hasselblad
bodies to use with this
System which is based upon the Olympus Zuko Macro Heads (135 F/4.5; 80 F/4;
...).
Sorry I can`t find any information on the Internet about that.

So what? - I`m sure it`s aQuestion of price/ value/ demand, and that may change
fast when technology (of digital sensoring) goes ahead. - Just my HO.

Frieder Faig