[OM] Fw: 40 mm

Subject: [OM] Fw: 40 mm
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:18:46 +0200
(I forward this message in favour of my country fellowman Machiel Botman -
Hnz)

Hans, hi - perhaps you want to pass this along to the Olympus people?

2-3 months ago I joined for awhile asking about the 40 mm.  As I received
comments in and out of favor re this lens, I thought I'd tell you how I am
going with it.
First, I wanted the lens because it is small and it seemed the solution for
my 20 year long going back and forth between the 50 and the 35.  I am one of
those (art) photographers doing only b/w and when I want something bigger in
the image I just make some steps forward, and (!) when I am too close I go
backward.  Sorry, but that's the way it is.
When the OM4 came out I got one, worked with it for some years until I got
tired of the problems it gave me.  I switched to Leica which I used until
this year.  Then someone told me the OM4 TI would not give me the problems
and as I never really liked the Leicanish thing ("great, you photograph with
a Leica" is not what you want to hear when you try to do something with the
heart) I got the TI and fished around for the 40 mm, found out it was truly
hard to get and got one in the end from OZ (!)
Now I am about 100 rolls and about 10 prints further, I have done a lot of
low light, full aperture stuff and also I've been out in the sun (giving
workshops with TPW in Toscana, Italy).  Portraits, Landscape, everything.
My prints are 16X20 (40X50) and I see no difference from the Leitz or the OM
negs from before.  Surely you'll get a difference if you compare through
some high tech whatever.  I only want to get similar atmosphere and
contrast, so my prints won't look different when up on the wall and sitting
next to each other.  Well, all is fine - it is a great lens.  Also in the
dark, opened up!  I am getting a second body and also another 40 (using
different film speeds) and it is goodbye 50 and 35.

Ciao, Machiel