[OM] Several things

Subject: [OM] Several things
From: "Simon E" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:52:51 GMT
Re: [OM] many thanks ...

are we talking stupid investment when a 135mm f2.8 is an equally
usable "stage lens"?

Since the 135mm f2.8 is a very good lens it would be difficult IMHO to justify the 180 for this purpose, as it's at *least* 3 or 4x the price. Unless you're rich or you're a Zuikoholic in the T. Scales tradition go for the 135 - you can always get a 180 later if you find the need. 135mm has 55m filter, against the 72mm of the big lens. Concern of theft or damage plus bulk/weight factors would mean I'd choose to take the 135 into a crowded gig venue, but then I own neither so take it as merely opinion.

Re: [OM] Forwarded mail....

On the subject of the Sigma 400 f5.6 APO, well I have one and use it occasionally for motorcycle racing photography. I've found the images it has produced to be quite good, but have never made any big enlargements. Since they can be picked up for around £200/US$300 I'd suggest the person does so, and then tests it to see if it is up to the job.

About the 24mm f2, subject was Re: [OM] many thanks ...

Some people like this lens, but Gary finds real problems with it, including bad vignetting and noticeable waveform & barrel distortion. I find the f2.8 version to be plenty sharp enough. As Lex pointed out, if the person wants the f2 version they'll buy it. I'd counter this with the suggestion that skill can compensate for a 1-stop light loss, which is less critical with wide angles than telephotos. If you're expecting superior optical performance you're wasting money. If you're after the fastest lens at that focal length then go for it. But why not try the 28 f2? It has better optical figures and is also lighter and cheaper.

Simon E.