Re: [OT] language bastardisation was Re: [OM] New Digicam

Subject: Re: [OT] language bastardisation was Re: [OM] New Digicam
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:27:26 GMT
The nearest thing to what we call fajitas here in Tejas are just good ol' tacos in Mexico. Lovely things - shredded beef (or mystery meat - I don't ask), grilled with a bit of fresh cilantro, folded up in a soft tortilla. Mmmm... Maybe some restaurants have added the sidedishes of pico since my last visit. Our Tex-Mex tacos - those hamburger abominations - have no counterpart in Mexico, thank goodness.

Since "bokeh" also reportedly translates as "absent-minded, goofy, or daft person" in Japan, I sometimes wonder whether we Westerners have set ourselves up as the butt of a long-distance joke by using the term so casually. But wouldn't it serve us right, with our too-frequent arrogance regarding how others speak the English language? It gives me an odd sort of pleasure to think so. OTOH, my lifelong motto has been, "Eat a live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day."

Lex
===