Re: [OM] Olympus Commitment to OM line

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Commitment to OM line
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:47:31 GMT
Hmmm, that's interesting. I didn't like the ergonomics of the Nikons I handled so I didn't notice the AF. Canon EOS AF is pretty quick, but no more so than the Olympus iS-series. In fact, the iS-series seem a bit quicker and more certain to me. I've never tried the upper end Minoltas but I absolutely detested the AF of the consumer grade SLRs I've tried. They hunted worse than a deaf, blind dog with no sense of smell.

So, since Olympus is capable of turning out cameras with quick, precise AF.... no, wait, I'm trying to make sense of this whole thing and we know it's useless - as Dan Lau recently reminded me, in a kind and gentlemanly manner - thanks, Dan. ;^)

But just humor me for a moment.

Everything electronic is getting smaller. Olympus has long been the master of miniaturization. Okay, sure, their first foray into AF lenses for the 35mm SLR wasn't a great success, but .... we already know that everything necessary for an AF lens can be squeezed into the lens itself. Only a sensor is needed on the camera body. Surely it's possible to make a single line of AF lenses interchangeable between film and digital SLRs. (Yes, I'm ignoring that rubbish Olympus claims about film lenses being unsuitable for CCDs.)

Aww, heck. I got so excited there for a moment my train of thought got derailed....

Lex
===