Re: [OM] Underwater photography/ Shark Attacks FL

Subject: Re: [OM] Underwater photography/ Shark Attacks FL
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 21:31:01 GMT
Hi, Selena,

I caught the shark attack report only out of the corner of my eye, but they showed the area as being whatever the residential equivalent to a quay or marina would be. Very unsettling.

When I lived in Pensacola it was common for sharks to be seen and caught from shore on the Gulf side, so virtually no one swam in that area. I saw swimmers and divers only in the bay.

Forgive me if the following advice is familiar, but having lived on all of our coasts at various times here are a few safety suggestions:

1. Sharks can smell blood a long way off. Menstruating women should stay out of the water entirely, even wading. Personally, I wouldn't go in the water if I had so much as a cut or scab.

2. If baitfish are schooling, stay out. In Florida that means mullet, primarily.

3. If there are fishermen nearby, particularly upstream (yup, seashores have definite stream patterns that change regularly), put plenty of distance between yourself and them. If they're chumming from shore (tossing in buckets of blood, guts and similar offal) I'd find another beach - they're deliberately trying to attract sharks.

4. If you see porpoises, enjoy your swim. They hate sharks and will attack them. (Some dispute this, but I've seen it.)

Sorry to sound so dire, but I've noticed an increase in reports of shark attacks. Don't know whether there's an increase in actual attacks or just in the reports.

One other thing - if bluefish are schooling, don't swim. They can't really injure you, but they're aggressive and sure have sharp little teeth.

Regarding disposable cameras, I've been disappointed in those I've tried (several years ago), but my mom recently saw some pix taken with disposables that she said compared very favorably with those taken using her Oly iS-2. So perhaps the disposables have improved.

Lex
===