Re: [OM] Underwater photography/ Shark Attacks FL (longish)

Subject: Re: [OM] Underwater photography/ Shark Attacks FL (longish)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 04:33:55 GMT
Good points, Charles. I may be biased toward the side of caution because of what I saw most times I visited the Gulf - shore fishermen chumming right at those popular recreation areas, instead of moving well away from places where families gather. Heck, I love to fish, but I darn sure wouldn't try to attract sharks near family picnic/swimming areas.

I tend to regard nurse sharks as a bit more aggressive than the others, but the fearsome looking hammerhead (fairly common in the Gulf) is quite harmless. I don't see how a thing with that head shape manages to eat at all! Anyway, I've heard of far more sea critter-related injuries from stepping on ray tails and jellyfish. And a person is probably 10 times as likely to step on broken glass at the beach.

The greatest danger swimming on the Gulf side is drowning. Folks really need to choose carefully where to swim or snorkel. There are places with sharp drop-offs and strong undertow. When I was a kid I loved swimming in places like that along the Atlantic Coast, but I sure wouldn't let my kids or grandkids have *that* kinda fun.

BTW, as a teenager I once caught a sea snake in the Gulf off the Texas coast. That completed my childhood dream to see every poisonous snake indigenous to North America in person. For some reason I've seen most of 'em while fishing - coral snakes in Central Florida, moccasins in Texas (just about every doggone time I go fishing). I sometimes carry my XA2 and a flashlight with me to shoot moccasins (OM content). I prolly oughtta carry a gun instead.

My son-in-law just returned from a trip to Destin and said the water is so clear he managed to see just about every native critter except the manatee.

Lex
===