Re: [OM] Sinarcam w/ Zuiko 35-80/2.8?

Subject: Re: [OM] Sinarcam w/ Zuiko 35-80/2.8?
From: Mark <markt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 08:49:02 -0500
Lex Jenkins wrote:

> Since the subject has come up (and Sinar makes LF cameras), is there any
> particular reason why 35mm system lenses, like the Zuikos, could not be
> adapted to use with certain large format cameras?  Granted, 50mm is not a
> "normal" lens for 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, etc.  And I'm assuming the focal plane
> must fall within a specified distance from the lens.  But from the
> standpoint of optical design, is there any reason why such lenses wouldn't
> work?

Lex, Check out the Ansel Adams book "The Camera", I believe the reason is
covering power.  The small lenses couldn't hope to cover that much area.
Talk about extreme vignetting(?SP)!

There is a good example in "The Camera".  It contains a photo taken with an
8"X10" view camera with markings on it as to what would happen in other
formats down to 35mm at, I think, the same (maybe equivalent) focal length.
I don't own the book so I can't look it up, but I know it's there.  The
picture is of a large living area of Ansel's house.

--
Sent from the Apple PowerBook of Mark Thalman
markt@xxxxxxxxxxxx Parallel Software, Macintosh geek