Re: [OM] RE: Fujichrome Films

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Fujichrome Films
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 08:55:33 -0500
At 11:23 PM 8/31/2000 -0500, Frank Berryman wrote:
>Can someone explain the differences among these Fujichrome films?  Is Provia
>just the "pro" version of Sensia II?  Whazzuuppp with Astia?
>
>Astia 100
>Provia 100F
>Sensia II 100
>
>Provia 400F
>Sensia II 400

Frank,
You can get some official info on these films at http://www.fujifilm.com.

The relationship of Astia and Sensia II is as pro to consumer. I don't know
if that info is *really* official or just consensus.

Provia F should almost be regarded, to my mind, as a new film with little
relation to the old Provia RDP2.  It is a nearly continuous, grainless film
(beating or at least tying KM25 and Velvia).  Grain of RDP2 is like
boulders compared to F.

Provia 400 and Sensia 400 seem similar enough.  Maybe they have the same
pro/consumer relationship as Astia and Sensia II.  I don't care because I
don't really like either of them.

So now having broken into the realm of subjective remarks, I like
Astia/Sensia II for skin tones, animals, flowers, and the sweet, warm light
of dawn and dusk.  It is a little flat for my taste for landscape during
the time of day when sunlight is "colder."

Provia F has more neutral whites and grays in dawn/dusk light. (The
previous Provia was very magenta and blue in these settings, which was not
however without its rewards.)  In colder light is has a bit of a green cast
at times, or perhaps it is just a bit flat.  I think it responds really
well in beautiful light;  other films jazz up humdrum lighting better (read
Kodak E100VS/Elite EBX).

My brother is an inveterate Velvia fan and has just done his own tests of
Provia F and has decided to convert, dubbing it "Velvia 100."  But that's
just his way of saying he likes it.  Most people seem to, with some notable
exceptions.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA