[OM] RE: Fujichrome Films

Subject: [OM] RE: Fujichrome Films
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 18:30:23 +0200
Frank Berryman wondered:

>Can someone explain the differences among these Fujichrome films?  Is Provia
>just the "pro" version of Sensia II?  Whazzuuppp with Astia?

>Astia 100
>Provia 100F
>Sensia II 100

>Provia 400F
>Sensia II 400

Provia 100(or Provia 100F as is the current version) is not at all the same as
SensiaII 100. A good friend of mine regularly shoots SensiaII 100 while I stick
to Provia100(F), there's quite a difference in that Provia is more saturated,
finer grain(at least ProviaF, the finest of all slide films, even surpassing
Kodachrome 25).
Astia is slightly less saturated than Provia(F) and has different palette
(aiming at caucasian skin tones), but differences between these two films can
be very hard to tell and more than one person has uttered confusion why Fuji
has released two such similar films. Note that although grain in Provia100F is
the best, contrast may be a bit soft (for some), stay with Velvia or Kodachrome
if you want those deep, black shadows. For me, Provia100, F or no F, is the
best all-around slide film there is with characteristics as close as I'll ever
want any in most situations, and as an die-hard Velvia-fan that says a lot!

Didn't know there was a Provia 400F, the old Provia400 I tried once, but these
high-speed films are IMO totally redundant, you'll get better results pushing
Provia100 (especially F) those two stops, the same applies of course to
Sensia400 II. I've seen Provia100F pushed from an accidental exposure of
1000ISO (3+ steps) and results were very good, if not amazing.

Cheers,
Ulf Westerberg
Nature- and Travel Photography at www.start.at/westerberg