Re: [OM] Zuiko 24/f2.8 compared to the Zuiko 28/f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 24/f2.8 compared to the Zuiko 28/f2.8
From: John Hudson <xyyc@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 19:14:18 -0700
Chris O'Neill wrote:

> I was in my favorite used camera store last weekend, and while yakking
> with my favorite sales person noticed a nice looking (dare I say
> "minty"?!?!?) Zuiko 24/f.28 lens in the display case.  We got to
> discussing this lens and I ended up taking it home to "test."
>
> So, I took a series of shots with my OM-2 mounted on a tripod using
> both the 24/f.28 and my 28/f.28.  I used Kirkland (Agfa) ISO 200 print
> film (I don't own a projector) with the camera set on auto mode and
> focused at infinity.  I took one shot for each lens at 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11,
> 16, and for the f2.8 22.
>
> When the prints came back, I compared them using an Agfa 8X loupe.
> Generally, the 28mm lens seems to be just a wee bit "sharper" (more
> contrast?) than the 24mm, particularly at the higher end (f5.6 to 16).
> The prints were 4x6 and the differences was hardly noticeable without
> using the loupe.  But my guess is that it probably *would* be more
> pronounced on 8x10 or larger prints
>
> I've looked at the Gary Reese's Lens Test Site, and the info there
> seems to confirm my general impression....  the 28mm is slightly
> "better" than the 24mm although both lenses "scored" well (at least as I
> read it).

I have both the 24 and 28 with their respective metal Oly hoods. A plus
of the 28 is that it will take standard thickness filters and the Oly
hood without any evidence of vignetting. Unless used with slim filters I
experience noticeable vignetting with the 24. As regards sharper images
I have not noticed any differences between the 24 and 28 but then I have
not taken the time or trouble to examine the slides and negatives in
enough detail to distinguish one from the other.

A couple of examples from my 24 are

http://jahudson.tripod.com/482.html

http://jahudson.tripod.com/485.html

John Hudson