Re: [OM] Zuiko 24/f2.8 compared to the Zuiko 28/f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 24/f2.8 compared to the Zuiko 28/f2.8
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 06:23:47 GMT
I can only comment on the utility of wide angles in general from my peculiar perspective, since I haven't tried either the 24/2.8 or 28/2.8 Zuikos.

Anything from 35mm to 55mm is a "normal" lens to me. I don't usually care to use anything wider outdoors. To my eye, 28mm is a bare minimum wide angle for indoors - but generally I don't want to use anything wider than necessary unless deliberate distortion is desirable. So, sure, I'd say you'd find both the 28 and 24 useful. But if I had to choose one, I'd stick with the sharper lens.

Another factor. Which is better/more useful up close? More magnification with less distortion? If that might be important, it's another thing to consider.

Regarding the difference in minimum f/stops (16 vs. 22), it won't matter much with wide angles. At minimum aperture you'll lose some overall sharpness due to diffraction either way. DOF with either will be fairly equivalent.

Lex
===