Re: [OM] "Bokeh" in context

Subject: Re: [OM] "Bokeh" in context
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 09:18:01 -0600
At 08:29 AM 9/3/2000 -0500, Joel Wilcox wrote:

[snip]

>Sometimes I think the only reason I keep my modest little Nikon system
>going is a very beat up Nikkor 85/1.8 (with only six blades) that plays
>second fiddle to no lens in its class (i.e., Zuiko 85/2; not sure the 90/2
>isn't in a class by itself).  Also, the 55/2.8 micro ain't no buffalo chip.
>
>Here's a bakeoff between the Nikkor 85/1.8 AI and Zuiko 85/2:
>
>http://avalon.net/~jdub/bokeh.htm
>
>Need I say, however, that the Nikkor is twice as big as the Zuiko?

Is it my imagination, or does the Zuiko-imaged pic display a slightly shallower
depth-of-field, causing the "bokeh'ed" background to appear softer?  Were both
pics taken at the same lens-to-subject distance, Joel?

Oh wait, the remarks at the bottom of the page state that you used an
equivalent unsharp mask in Photoshop on both images.  Hmmm...

Garth