That 17mm Vivitar lens (was: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1820)

Subject: That 17mm Vivitar lens (was: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1820)
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 00:19:38 +0200
Hello,

Norma Foltz or Hank Hogan wrote:

> Now I want to know more about the Vivitar 17mm lens because I just bought one
> !

Well, I had one Vivitar 17mm/3.5 lens. The images it produced had
quite a lot of distorsion, comparable to the 24mm/2.0 Zuiko. The lens
was relative suspectible for backlight flare. Exept for for one
occasion, I didn't noticed problems with chromatic aberations. The
relevant photo shows a dark hall with windows to the outside in the
back. The windows are nearly "glowing" and show an noticeable blue
coloured fringe.
I might add that Tokina produces an nearly identicaly lens, the Tokina
17mm/3.5 SL.

Do I think it's a bad lens? No, it's reasonable priced and for most
occasion one might see no big difference to an 18mm/3.5 Zuiko.
The Zuiko has a much better flare and ghosting control, much less
distorsion and a little bit more sharpness in the image corner.
A Nikonista friend of mine has the Tokina version and an Nikkor
18mm/3.5, a lens comparable to the Zuiko. He can not part from the
"objective" inverior Tokina, because the "flaws" of the 17mm can be an
interesting part of the photo. Ghosting and flare in this lens can
create interesting effects, are able to make the light visible. In
contrast the "better" Zuiko and Nikkor show much less, nearly no flare
and very small, controled ghosting, they produce "clean" images. Well,
nearly clean, because a little bit of ghosting in backlighted scens is
inevadeable, but that much smaller ghosting is much more anoying
because it contrasts so much with the clean image.
He showed me b&w pictures of an industrial ruin, rays of light comming
from the roof iluminating the floor. The shoots taken wit the Tokina
had more atmospere, the "flaws" added to the "message" of the picture.
The distorsion of the lens is less noticeable if you photograph
buildings from an angle, but it's not debateable the Zuiko is a better
lens for architectual photography.

> I am thinking of getting a UV0 glass filter for protecting the front element
> maybe I should
> consider a Wratten 2C or even a 2E !

I had only one photo with this intensive coloured fringes, so maybe
it's no problem most of the time.

Best regards

Richard