Re: [OM] OK, it's not flashes anymore (about those subject lines....) -

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, it's not flashes anymore (about those subject lines....) - OT - back to cars
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 14:38:59 +0200
Yo,

on Sat, 2 Sep 2000 22:36:11 -0400, Gregg wrote:

>I know it can sound petty when we complain about fuel prices that are so
>much lower than what you pay in Europe, and other parts of the world.  I
>have been trying to come up with a reason that may sound reasonable.  I
>think I have found some that are plausable
>
>1.  We still live on a budget, and when prices for gas go up, it not
>only affects us at the pump, but because so much of our food, clothing
>etc are trucked from clear across the US (like 2-3 thousand miles) it
>also affects every purchase we make.
>
>2.  Fuel savings still relate to less hydrocarbons put into the air.
>That means less polution for everyone on the planet.  It also relates to
>the effeciency of the engine we use.
>
>3.  It is very difficult to live near work.  Unlike some countries, very
>few individuals can ride bicycles to work or walk no matter how much we
>would like to.  We also don't have effective public transportation in
>much of the US.
>
>4.  Many of us seldom travel outside of the US on vacations but use our
>automobiles to tour the country. My family just completed a trip that
>didn't even go into the western 1/3 (1000 miles) of the US and we still
>managed to travel ~ 4600 miles.

All of these, of course, are valid arguments. I know, because if you
substitute "Europe" wherever you said "US" each and every one is just as
true over here. I don't want to extend this OT thread too far, but just a
few comments:
In reference to items 1.) and 2.) above, there really is no difference.
Item 3.): As an example  - the unemployment agencies over here consider a
commuting time of 2 hours (one way) to work acceptable when they place
people into jobs - so far for walking or riding a bicycle. And forget about
effective public transportation unless you live in one of the larger cities.
They are the only places with outstanding public transportation, as large
part of the gas taxes is used to improve the public transportation systems
there - that way, those who are forced to drive because they don't have
useable public transportation are made to pay for further improving it in
the relatively few areas where it is already excellent.
Item 4.): You can easily travel just as far within Europe, and the car is
the no. 1 means of transportation when vacationing.

Gas prices are a political problem. Unfortunately, there is no political
party that would handle this reasonably over here. People who depend on
their vehicles with no other choice are just too convenient a source of
money - where else can you raise taxes with practically no limit and know
that people will still (have to) buy the taxed product?

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx