Re: [OM] - OT - back to cars and commuting

Subject: Re: [OM] - OT - back to cars and commuting
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 10:50:20 -0500
Dirk lamented:
>BTW, it takes me at most 1.5 hours one way, and I live about 25 miles from
my
>workplace. This is using public transport exclusively. If I carpooled it
>would take less than half that time. Hmm, maybe I should like into
carpooling
>again?

I live about 25 miles from the office now too.  It takes me less than 22
minutes on a good day (light traffic, no state highway patrol) to get my
overpowered Jeep Cherokee (manditory SUV content) to work.   I can add four
minutes, though, if the stoplights aren't working with me.  Some mornings
I'm actually early and can drive legally and I realize just how boring of a
drive it really is.  I guess I need to develop a love for photographing
corn and soybeans.  Snooze.

To put things in perspective about gas guzzlers and prices:  At the current
gas prices I'm spending about $1400 a year on gas to go to and from work.
To get an econobox with the gerbil-cage engine will still cost me $700.
The Jeep should still have 100,000 miles left on it and the econobox will
get a total of about 120,000 before turning into dust.  I owe $4500 on the
Jeep and a new econobox will cost at least $12,000.  Insurance will save
quite a bit, but repairs/maintenance will be similar.  I can't cost justify
getting a shoebox with lawnmower wheels right now.  Besides, I'm around 6'
5" and not many cars will accomidate my long legs.  I probably will start
commuting with another guy I work with though a couple days a week.
Fortunately, I'm paid enough to not worry about the gas price.  (now there
is a truism).

Best reason for me to keep the Jeep instead of a motorized toaster is that
the Jeep is one of the finest OM toting tools ever created!  This is the
perfect "camera bag" for devotees of the "Ansel Adams School of Car Trunk
Photograpy."

All that said, the new Toyota Gasolectric car is awefully intriging.  Or
maybe one of those electric roadsters featured on "Nash Bridges".  I know,
take the 'Cuda!  (Perhaps the finest example of American car designs EVER!)

Ken Norton