[OM] Zuiko Tour 2000

Subject: [OM] Zuiko Tour 2000
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 12:03:04 -0500
Well, I'm trying to figure out my gear selection for this trip.  Problem is
that there will be four adults and two toddlers stuffed with a week's worth
of camping gear in a minivan.  I have with great reluctance decided to not
take the medium format gear because of the space requirements.  Bummer dude.

Tripod selection is difficult as I have three, but space for only one.  Do
I take the 3221 or the 3001?  I've modified the 3001 for ground level work,
but it doesn't stand nearly as tall which is a problem when shooting over
weeds.  If I take the 3221, I'll need to put the leg covers back on.  The
3001 is easier to hike with, lighter, and already has the covers on.  The
3221 helps me to think more seriously about photography.  The 3001 goes
with me easier and is less likely to be left in the car.

Camera bags are a concern.  Do I take the bigger bag that can hold
everything with comfort or the smaller one and not take winders or the
200/2.8.  Space constraints would push me towards the smaller bag, but I'm
thinking I might beable to get it to "fly" as I can multitask the bag with
other doodads such as the family camera or camcorder.

Film.  ProviaF, but I am probably going to augement with a new polorizer.
I need to get a brick.

Expresso maker.  You think we are going to rough it that much?  Just when
I've developed a really wicked blend which I call:  "Puts Hair on Your
Teeth and Calls You Betsie!"  I think the expresso maker will be a voted on
item.

If I must limit my 35mm gear I have a 24mm, 35shift, 35-70/2.8 zoom,
100/2.8 and a 200/2.8 to choose from and two camera bodies.  I know this is
subminimum for many of you, but I'm wondering what else I can trim out.  I
refuse to go down to one body and the 24mm and 100/2.8 are must take items.
 I can live without the 200/2.8 and I'm debating the shift lens.  Strange
thing:  The less gear I take, the more serious I am.  The 200/2.8 is almost
the same size as our camcorder.  If I absolutely must get a longer shot, I
guess I can always use the IS-3, but that has been cabbaged for family
pictures.  The little XA will stay in my pocket so that is a nobrainer and
will probably be loaded with T400CN.

The bummer thing about this trip is that we must be prepared for winter and
summer conditions.  It could snow or we could have 80 degree
temperatures--all in one day!  Winter clothing adds a lot of bulk to the
bags and packing for two toddlers takes as much room as two adults.

I've got to get a new pair of gloves and I'm looking at the split-fingered
type that ice-fishermen use.  Hmm.....

Another thing to consider is not even taking a camera bag, but strictly
using my vest and a small fanny pack.  I'm just cautious about damage in
the car.

We will probably camp out at Porcupine State Park for a few days and use
that as our base to explore around from.  Then we will drift east, stopping
at TQ falls and Mackinaw Island before whipping back down through Michigan,
saying "Hi" to the folks and getting back to corn country.

Ken (packing like a backpacker) Norton