Re: [OM] Zuiko 24/f2.8 compared to the Zuiko 28/f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 24/f2.8 compared to the Zuiko 28/f2.8
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 15:17:43 -0500 (CDT)
On Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:13:05 -0600, Chris O'Neill wrote:

>- Does anyone who owns both of these lenses wish to confirm (or refute)
>my general impressions?

Absolutely. I've owned both for a while. Be happy to. The short
version is that in my experience, they are close enough performers
that I make my choice by focal length and not by quality.

>- Is the wider angle of view of the 24mm "worth" losing the additional
>stop (f22) that I currently have on the 28mm lens?

I hardly ever shoot anything above f/16 as it is, and both lenses
have depth of field to spare, so that's normally not an issue. I
suppose if I was shooting 3200 film at noon on a bright day with no
shade, it'd be a concern, but I seldom do that.

>- Most of my wide-angle shots have been outdoors, but I do
>occassionally take indoor shots.  Is there a "best use" for each of these
>lenses?

I don't think so.

>- I have "dickered" the salesperson down to trading me the 24mm for my
>28mm and CDN$50 (about US$34 at the moment).  Would folks
>consider this a "good" deal?
>
>Aw, hell!  Maybe I just just buy it outright and have both????  (Grin!)

THERE'S the ticket!!!

FWIW, I keep a good wide angle arsenal in my bag. I own the 16, 21,
24, 28, and a Kenko fisheye adaptor that gives me 8mm with my 50. As
a general rule, I always carry the 21 and the 28, although the 24 was
a favorite for a long time. You won't be unhappy with either lens, so
why not get both and see what suits your shooting style best?

BBB

-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bean & Bean Cotton Co/Bean Farms                http://www.beancotton.com