Re: [OM] Zuiko 180 TEST !!!

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 180 TEST !!!
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 22:35:46 +0200
Hello David,

you wrote:

>         If you´ve seen me, the first time I sent my slides
> to be scanned with PhotoCD. I sent one letter to the lab
> explaining they´ve done very bad, and they should rescan
> them again; they did it even worse the second time!

One thing what scares me away from giving my slides negatives out of
my hand, is the probability of damage done to them by unscrupulous
operators. I have seen damaged negatives, coming back scratched from
reprinting. Printing prices are in part that ridiculous low, photo
printing company might not always employ the most qualified personal.

> If you
> are one purist like me, you must pay, pay, pay and don´t
> expect impressive results!

With colour no doubt, regardless if digital or analogue.

B&W is different, one can do a lot of things for them self, technology
is mature and at the border of the physicaly possible. With enough
time one can have first class results at moderate prices.

> If you really want outstanding results, you must control
> every element.

Difficult to impossible, except maybe for B&W. Digital is promising to
do the same for colour, but up to now can not deliver (except maybe
for gear only big publishing houses can afford).

> You must know everything about slides,
> scanning, CCDs, color management, ICCs, colour matching
> software, best ink printers, etc...

It's all compromise, no mature technology is available for the
consumer. Expect to spend a lot of money with "updating" technology,
speak: removing the bugs in features they promised two generations
before.
Calibrating is a big issue, but no consumer product can be reliable
calibrated.

>         When could try to speak with Olympus. I used to
> write to Ms. S. Takezawa in Japan, but now I can´t put
> in contact with her. Anyone into this list knows of some-
> one from Olympus? I could prepare one PDF document with
> photos and try to get some answers...

My impression with companies going digital is, they tend to apply an
"bait and switch" policy. No interest in after sale product support,
good example are scanner driver. There is not much enthusiasm with
Nikon, Canon, Minolta to write new or improved driver for out of
production models.

Hmm, after writing that do I realy want to spend money for an slide
scanner?

Thinking

Richard