Re: [OM] "Bokeh" in context

Subject: Re: [OM] "Bokeh" in context
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 16:41:12 -0500
At 11:19 AM 9/4/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Joel eaked out a comparison:
>>Here's a bakeoff between the Nikkor 85/1.8 AI and Zuiko 85/2:
>>Need I say, however, that the Nikkor is twice as big as the Zuiko?
>
>I noticed a difference in subject size.  This probably has everything to do
>with size of the lens.  A distant subject would have been identical.

It is possible that I cropped the scans dissimilarly and introduced a
discrepancy.  It wouldn't be terribly far off the mark though. Both lenses
focus to .85 m.  Racked out to that point, the Nikon is about 1/2 inch (2
cm.) longer than the Olympus.  Assuming the film of both cameras is on the
same plane, would that difference in distance cause a difference in image
size?

>As far as the bokeh is concerned, this is pretty typical of the Nikkors, in
>that they sacrifice bokeh for "apparent" DOF.

I just don't understand what this means.  Can you explain?

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA