Re: [OM] Zuiko Tour 2000

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko Tour 2000
From: "Gregg" <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 20:20:32 -0400
Ken mused:
| Well, I'm trying to figure out my gear selection for this trip.
Problem is
| that there will be four adults and two toddlers stuffed with a week's
worth
| of camping gear in a minivan.
|

| Camera bags are a concern.  Do I take the bigger bag that can hold
| everything with comfort or the smaller one and not take winders or the
| 200/2.8.  Space constraints would push me towards the smaller bag, but
I'm
| thinking I might beable to get it to "fly" as I can multitask the bag
with
| other doodads such as the family camera or camcorder.

The winder is a convenience and not a necessity.  The way I shoot, the
200 would be used less than the  other lenses.

| If I must limit my 35mm gear I have a 24mm, 35shift, 35-70/2.8 zoom,
| 100/2.8 and a 200/2.8 to choose from and two camera bodies.  I know
this is
| subminimum for many of you, but I'm wondering what else I can trim
out.  I
| refuse to go down to one body and the 24mm and 100/2.8 are must take
items.
|  I can live without the 200/2.8 and I'm debating the shift lens.
|
| The bummer thing about this trip is that we must be prepared for
winter and
| summer conditions.  It could snow or we could have 80 degree
| temperatures--all in one day!  Winter clothing adds a lot of bulk to
the
| bags and packing for two toddlers takes as much room as two adults.

Take lots of light layers.  They don't take as much space and help
better with different temps.  It also helps to roll the clothes instead
of folding them.  They come out pressed too.

| Another thing to consider is not even taking a camera bag, but
strictly
| using my vest and a small fanny pack.  I'm just cautious about damage
in
| the car.

Put the spare camera in the clothes.  Use socks around the lenses when
they are not in use.  I know this sounds crazy but it does help when
space is at a premium.

| We will probably camp out at Porcupine State Park for a few days and
use
| that as our base to explore around from.

The Copper Harbor area should be great this time of year.  The phrase
"Go west, young man, go west" was written about this area of the
country.

Gregg