Re: [OM] OK, it's not flashes anymore (about those subject lines....) -

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, it's not flashes anymore (about those subject lines....) - OT - back to cars
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 02:48:43 +0200
Yo,

on Mon, 04 Sep 2000 16:21:12 GMT, Lex Jenkins wrote:

>Over here we call 'em "sin" taxes: raising revenue on the backs of tobacco
>and alcohol.

Well, you can always try growing your own tobacco and finding a smuggler who
has decent moonshine. ;-)
I personally like making my own (berry) wine (for fun, not because of
excessive taxes).

>I don't know how well it works.  I quit smoking years ago and drink maybe
>one beer a month.

I never smoked. And one advantage we have in Germany is that beer is taxed
as a normal grocery item. :-))) It is considered basic nutrition and
therefore bears a value added tax of 7%, whereas for liquor and wine, just
as for non-food items, the VAT is 16% (with the liquors also bearing a
special alcohol tax).

>If the revenuers knew how much we enjoy photography they'd raise the taxes
>on our equipment and supplies.  But if they try to raise taxes on film,
>coffee and chocolate, I'm gonna start another revolution.

That's exactly the reason why even our paras^H^Hpoliticians haven't dared
touching the beer taxes yet. If they did, Bavaria would be sure to leave the
Federation and become independent. (I'm not quite certain whether I should
put a :-) here)
By the way, I'm playing with the idea of doing a photo series of our
regional beer gardens by night (Note: obligatory OM content).

>After all, a
>man's got to believe in something.  I believe I'll have another cup of
>coffee.

Good idea. But as I'm just about ready to hit the hay I think I'll rather
have another glass of red wine. :-)

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--