Re: [OM] Olympus RD cleaning

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus RD cleaning
From: "C.H.Ling" <pling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 14:41:28 +0800
Dear Jesse,

Disassembly the 35RD is a quite difficult job for the first trail. I
have spent 10 hrs to figure out how to do it in the right way,
afterward I have clean another two but even you know the way it will
take you some four to five hrs to clean one. When there is something
wrong, you have to do it again. I don't really suggest any non
experience guy to repair their precious camera especially if it is
very important to you. Tell you the truth, while my second and third
35RD is working perfectly my first 35RD (mint cosmetic one) still
pending for me to spare time to figure out why the auto and manual
aperture size is not correct.

Okay, there are some hint if you really want to do the job yourself:

1. You need to remove the lens mounting plate together with the lens
assembly.
2. Loose the shutter coupling screw (at the back of the lens mounting
plate which is a relative large slot screw), remove the screw and
coupling mechanism.
2. Let the whole assembly sitting at a proper way that the shutter
mechanism (on back of lens mounting plate) is free from pressure.
3. Remove the lens front fixing ring, the CDS sensor assembly, the
focusing and shutter ring, be careful to prevent the losing of the
ball bearing for shutter click feeling.
4. Remove front lens group.
5. Remove the aperture coupling mechanism for flashmatic control.
6. Now you can see six small black philips screws. Three for mounting
the "aperture and shutter leaf assembly" another three for mounting
them to the lens mounting chassis, remove the latter one.
7. Wind the shutter gear a little bit, now you should be able to
remove the "aperture and shutter leaf assembly"
8. There is a little spring that connected the aperture lever to the
lens mounting plate, it will loose out at step "7", done lost it!
9. Now you can remove the other three small black screws mentioned on
"6", the aperture assembly and shutter assembly will be separated and
you should be able to remove the shutter leaves for cleaning (total
six pieces but assembly at five position).
10 I use 75% alcohol to clean the leaves, be careful not to blend any
of it. Otherwise you can throw the camera away, there is no way to
make it flat again. You should also clean the shutter leaves mounting
mechanism.
11. Put the shutter leaves back with a small tweezers or a very clean
hand.
12. Now you can put back all the assemblies together. Remember first
part of step "7" is important to put back the "aperture and shutter
assembly to the lens mounting chassis.

In general, you have to remember every step and every screw's
position. There may be one or two steps missed please check it out
yourself. If there is still any question, you can contact me offlist.

Good Luck!

C.H.Ling