Re: [OM] What should I say ? -- Hank

Subject: Re: [OM] What should I say ? -- Hank
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 15:13:36 -0700 (PDT)
> It looks like someone is interested but it could
> also be a hoax by some
> of my colleagues.
> I know some of you have photos in magazines some of
> you advise me how to
> proceed ?
> Right now I'm more interested in building the list
> of photo credits than
> deriving profit.

"Standard publication rates apply".  Do not be
cheated.  They expect to pay USD $800-3000 for a cover
photograph.  Also, the terms are 30-60 days from
acceptance, not publication.  Single use and copyright
remains yours.  Insist on a byline somewhere (usually
on the table of contents page) preferably with a
thumbnail and url to your website.

Just use a standard "business like" response with the
above information and not much more.  You might want
to refer to a book on stock photography or a
photographers business guide for exact wording.  Don't
be afraid to take a stand and demand industry standard
rates and terms.  Remember, they don't know you from
A. Adams.

Ken Norton
Image66