[OM] Bokeh and jpg

Subject: [OM] Bokeh and jpg
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 18:19:32 -0700 (PDT)
 At 08:29 AM 9/3/2000 -0500, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> >Sometimes I think the only reason I keep my modest little Nikon system
> >going is a very beat up Nikkor 85/1.8 (with only six blades) that plays
> >second fiddle to no lens in its class (i.e., Zuiko 85/2; not sure the 90/2
> >isn't in a class by itself).  Also, the 55/2.8 micro ain't no buffalo chip.
> >
> >Here's a bakeoff between the Nikkor 85/1.8 AI and Zuiko 85/2:
> >
> >http://avalon.net/~jdub/bokeh.htm

For my eyes, I can't evaluate the quality of seriously out-of-focus shapes
in jpg format as the compression seems to be quite heavy-handed in
precisely such zones. Can this be avoided?

Well, let's see what we get with the TOPE "bokeh"  show (I"ll try to
contibute if I can get a decent scanner set-up by then...

Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page:
        http://logos.uoregon.edu/uoling/faculty/pederson/pederson.html