Re: [OM] - OT - back to cars and commuting

Subject: Re: [OM] - OT - back to cars and commuting
From: "Simon E" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 07:45:31 GMT
Dirk Wright wrote:

I don't know about England. What place were you at - London?

I was in Sheffield, in the Midlands.

Hmmm, Sheffield's in Yorkshire, and folk up there won't take kindly to being told they're in the Midlands ;-) Cities and large towns usually have reasonable public transport, though the streets are still clogged with car drivers. I now live in Shrewsbury, in Shropshire (in the Midlands), which has a tortuous one-way system. I avoid the town centre in my car if at all possible. Cycling allows me to ride up pavements (sidewalks) and the wrong way up one-way streets, with caution.

Outside the towns buses etc are infrequent at best, and the train service is patchy.

Also Britain (which has countries other than England in it!) is a relatively small island, but is still ~1,000 miles long. Arterial routes are motorways, but the pace slows dramatically when you get to the smaller roads.

France & Spain, for example, are much bigger than GB. It would surely take more like 24 hours of continuous driving to cross either North-South. I have read bike journalists' accounts of head-down full throttle trips across France on the autoroutes which, if they are to be believed, spend much of their time with the speedo above 140mph.

Simon E.