Re: [OM] - OT - back to cars and commuting

Subject: Re: [OM] - OT - back to cars and commuting
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 00:52:45 +0100
John Palmer wrote:

> ...Sheffield had a particularly fine bus system, thanks to an enlightened
> local government who supported it financially to a great extent. It
> was extensive, reliable and cheap from what I recall. Until central
> government got hold of it and told them to stop it...

Yes, that was 'Deregulation' that had the effect of wrecking Birmingham's
bus services too. Three-buses-an-hour services overnight became services
that you wait an hour for and three buses come together because the drivers
had been transferred to routes they didn't know. The chaos was the bus
company's deliberate response to losing their monopoly, and at the
passengers' expense. It was that chaos that caused us to buy a car again.

This reminds me why my XA was left in a drawer for years - it had been my
"bus camera" and buying the car made it redundant.

Regards,
Keith Berry